Recipe and image by Coles
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 200g butter, chopped
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) brown sugar
- 200g almond meal
- Cocoa powder, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 22cm square cake pan with baking paper.
- Combine the chocolate, butter, cocoa powder and 1/3 cup (80ml) water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 mins or until mixture is smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the egg yolks, sugar and almond meal and stir to combine.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Add half of the egg white to the chocolate mixture and use a large metal spoon to gently fold to combine. Add the remaining egg white and gently fold to combine. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 mins or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
- Turn onto a serving platter. Dust with cocoa powder. Cut into pieces.